That time I got pregnant…

ultrasound picture sitting in cardboard box on the ground

So, wow. I am currently 16 weeks into my very first pregnancy. It still feels incredibly surreal, I have to say. I guess the baby is the size of a pear now, or something? I like to call it “peanut.”

For those who weren’t in on my little secret until now, I’ll start from the beginning.

This pregnancy was 100 percent planned and, timing-wise, has worked out super well in light of the move and everything.

Anyway, I sort of had an inkling I was pregnant very early on. I took an early home pregnancy test but I took it too early, so it was negative. I wasn’t deeply disappointed, as we hadn’t been trying for very long, but I was a bit confused because I felt like my body was telling me something. Two weeks later, I was “late” and I was still feeling a bit off (physically) and Mark encouraged me to take another test. I was convinced it would be negative. Sure enough, on a Friday morning at 7:00 a.m., I took another test, and BAM! There it was on the little digital screen: “pregnant”. I started shaking with nerves and excitement, ran into the bedroom where Mark was fast asleep and started poking him. I had to keep myself from screaming with joy and just said, “I can’t believe it! I’m pregnant!” Mark said in a half-awake whisper “I knew it,” and he mumbled something else, but I stopped listening and let him go back to sleep. He had only got to bed at 4:00 a.m. and I had to get ready for work. I left the positive test in the bathroom where he could see it, and left for work. I couldn’t think about anything else all day. I got an excited text from Mark after he woke up and then immediately made an appointment to see the doctor for the following week. I had actually been to the doctor about shoulder pain the afternoon before, so it seemed a bit silly that I didn’t just take a test right there! Oh well, you just never know, eh?

The following weeks were a blur of appointments and just trying to wrap our heads around the fact that we were going to be parents. We kept telling ourselves not to get too excited too soon, but after the first ultrasound we couldn’t help but get a little excited. About a month into the pregnancy, the nausea started. I lasted a week before going to the doctor for a prescription. I don’t know how my mom did this without nausea meds. I would have been so much more miserable. While I wasn’t throwing up all the time, I had a lingering feeling of nausea all day every day up until two weeks ago. Brushing my teeth was a trick because my gag reflex was so bad that I would just finish brushing, or in the middle of brushing, I would throw up. I was put off by most food, especially meat. I was eating a lot of crackers and bread and drinking a lot of ginger ale. Oh and MAN was I exhausted. I couldn’t get enough sleep and I was sleeping at least 10 hours a night. I struggled to stay awake at work in the afternoons. I was napping after work. I’m slowly gaining my energy back now, which is nice. I didn’t have the energy to anything for the longest time and the only reason we weren’t drowning in our own filth was because my amazing husband was doing the dishes and the laundry and keeping things manageable. He’s the best.

I’m well aware of how lucky I am to have had a first trimester like that. I know it could have been a lot worse, but it certainly wasn’t a cakewalk. I was also nervous about people at work finding out before I was ready to tell them, which didn’t help things. Luckily, no one said a word about it, even if they did suspect. I actually had a lot of fun announcing the news at a staff meeting a couple of weeks ago. I’ve had fun telling everyone! It sucks having a big, happy secret that you have to keep to yourself.

Apart from the whole pregnancy thing, preparing for the move to Boston has been a real ride. Mark has been working super long hours trying to finish some projects and organizing moving logistics on top of it. He’s done pretty much everything and I could not be more grateful for his patience and strength through all of this.

Three weeks ago there was a bed bug scare in our apartment building so we decided to pack up our stuff and send it with my in-laws to Kingston (it took 1.5 days to do this last-minute). We couldn’t stay in the building because if there were bugs, we didn’t trust building management to handle it properly and if they did decide to spray, I couldn’t be in the building. Utter insanity. Fortunately, our apartment was inspected for bugs and we got the all clear. We’re staying with my aunt and uncle in Toronto until we finish our current jobs, then heading to Kingston next weekend to pack up another moving truck, then we’re off to Boston on March 1st. This unexpected early move put a lot of strain on Mark, since I couldn’t really help much, and we are both so grateful to his parents for offering their help in a HUGE way.

Mark and I are really looking forward to getting to Boston and settling in. We’ve got a great apartment in a great neighborhood and I can’t wait to explore! I still need to find new doctors, etc. but it shouldn’t be too difficult with the network we’ll have access to (yes, we will have excellent health coverage, don’t worry!). It’s been a crazy few months and with all the jitters that come with a first pregnancy paired with a cross-border move, we could use some stability.

Bring on the next chapter!