I’m about to do something I have NEVER once attempted. I am going to give up
sugar COMPLETELY ALL added sugars and sweeteners for one month.
Starting September 1, I am taking the plunge into
full sugar detox! I got the idea from a non-profit and thought it would be a great test of my willpower, not to mention a good way to jump-start more healthy living choices.
I LOVE sugar, and it’s in almost everything these days. I would go so far to say that I have a serious sugar addiction. That being said, if I’m being realistic, I don’t expect to completely cut all sugar or added sugar out of my life. I hope that by having a realistic approach, I can complete this challenge and gain a better understanding of how sugar makes my body feel and try to look for better alternatives. I’m a work in progress, what can I say?
To make the challenge more fun and as an appeal to my competitive side, I invited my sister and one of my friends to join me in this challenge. At the end of each week, I’ll write a summary post on how I’m feeling, if I had any problems, and I’ll share some of the foods I ate.
Here’s a basic list of what I cannot consume for the month:
- Baked goods, desserts, candies or sweets
- Sweetened hot drinks (hot chocolate, sweetened/flavoured coffee and tea, etc.)
- Sugary condiments (ketchup, tomato sauce, salad dressing etc.)
- Sugary drinks (soda, chocolate milk, etc.)
- Commercial, processed cereals (if it comes in a box, it likely has sugar)
- Alcohol (beer, mixed cocktails, etc.)
I also need to avoid the following ingredients:
- brown sugar
- cane juice extract
- corn syrup and corn syrup solids
- demerara or turbinado sugar
- evaporated cane juice
- high fructose corn syrup or glucose-fructose
- lactose (no problem, since I already do that)
- raw sugar
- maple syrup
- white sugar
Wish me luck!